Round or square? Convince me which crab pot is best

Crabbing season in central Puget Sound is about to open July 1 (on my birthday no less! and yes, my zodiac sign is cancer). This year we are in the market for a new rig to collect those delicious crustaceans. But we need the readers of Three Sheets Northwest to weigh in on the most important question of our time — are round traps or square traps better?

Should I buy this one?

95475_WMP_CRAB-POT-KIT_PPM

Or this one?

11255_DNC_FtC_PPM

Help end this debate once and for all. Vote below and then make your best argument in the comments section below.

What is the best style of crab trap?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

8 Responses to Round or square? Convince me which crab pot is best

1. Tobin June 24, 2016 at 12:57 pm #

Look at GoPro videos of successful Puget Sound crabbers. You get crab in both, but there is more room for the overflowing group of crab trying to get to your bait. On many round traps, the doors are shorter. I’ve seen video of crab trying to get into the trap but are actually pushing too high above the door and never get in. Square has the benefit of flat doors that can be taller and prevent that. I took two friends out crabbing last year. We pulled a typical “hobbyist” square trap and had around 50 crab stuffed in it. More than half were keepers with a few 8 inch specimens. Of course we had to throw some keepers back due to limits. With my friend’s round pot in the same area we pulled some crab(around a dozen) and most were female. We again had to throw them back as we already limited on the first pot.

Same bait. Same area. Better result.

2. Captain Chuck June 23, 2016 at 10:06 am #

Commercial crabbers use square. And of course that depends on where you are crabbing. in Alaska they are square, easier to stack.

3. mikehmc June 22, 2016 at 11:03 pm #

post script. Did anyone notice when the starfish got wiped out a few years ago… crabbing became phenomenal. huge 8 inch crab all season everywhere last two years (except Friday harbor, which for some reason is mostly female… never thought I would be sad for too many females.). anywho, starfish coming back… saw several starfish at every harbor and rock we visited this year. which I like… but then… are starfish populations and crab populations related? any smart scientists out there?

4. mikehmc June 22, 2016 at 10:57 pm #

Both fish the same. I have a triangle one too. one round, one square one triangle, all fish same. Replacing them all with square…. one reason. Square folds flat against lifelines, even with line stored inside it. I voted square.

5. Rafael Alvarado June 22, 2016 at 6:14 pm #

I use square they have more doors than the round out crab round 18 keepers in square 5 in round

6. Jim Burgoyne
    Jim Burgoyne June 22, 2016 at 10:37 am #

Round. No contest.

Unless, of course, folding, rather than catching, is your most important criteria.

7. Dave Calhoun June 22, 2016 at 8:23 am #

Commercial crabbers use round, that tells me something. Here’s what I use: http://flexfoldtraps.com/

8. Al Hughes June 21, 2016 at 6:24 pm #

Folds flat, and in my side by side catch experiments, no apparent differences. Your mileage may vary, cheers, Al